Volcano Hike with Guidance
This second eruption in the Reykjanes Peninsula in about 800 years provides a unique opportunity to study the geologic mysteries of the region. After being shaken for months the ground has opened up again after the last eruption in 2021, and a new eruption has begun.
Witnessing an erupting volcano is a once in a lifetime opportunity that provides you with a unique opportunity to experience the raw power of nature by the volcanic eruption in Meradalir.
The hike takes approximately 2 hours each way. Keep in mind that the sites around the volcano are constantly changing due to freely flowing lava and the duration of the hike can change.
Don´t miss out on this unique experience and witness the raw power of lava erupting out of the trembling ground.
The volcanic landscape can be uneven and challenging. Therefore, good hiking shoes and warm clothing is mandatory. There is no running water on the way to fill a water bottle, so please bring plenty of water and a hearty lunch.
Please note: The Volcano is not currently active but the hike and eruption site is still available for visits and exploration during this tour
- Pick-up in Reykjavik.
- Bus fare (Free Wi-Fi).
- This is a guided tour & hike.
- No meals included, bring your own food & drink.
- Period : Daily, all year.
- Departure : 10:00
- Length : 8 hours.
- Difficulty : Moderate.
- Product code : A16.
- Other : The hike is about 2 hours, each way, total distance is 14 km (out and back) with an elevation of 300m. Equipment is available to rent on location for a small fee and hikers will have approximately 1,5 hours to view the volcanic eruption.
- Hiking boots and warm clothing. Gloves and a hat are highly recommended. Hiking crampons are recommended during winter. Bring water, lunch and snacks.